Sunday, April 15, 2012

natural child/hunx & his punx at will's pub


i'm so stoked that i've finally rediscovered my formerly show-loving self in the past few weeks. there's nothing like seeing great live music whilst drinking cheap beer in a dingy dive bar. despite my now slightly more buttoned-up appearance, it's still one of the environments where i'm legitimately the happiest.

the will's pub show last night began with two local bands, tamtam the sandwich man and the magical sugar cookies (yes, really)-who entertained us with songs about hating your job as a pizza hut delivery driver- and girls on the beach, whose bespectacled and totally nerdy looks were the complete opposite of their loud, 60's-esque surfer rock, which they performed with cigarettes dangling out of their mouths. it was a sight to see.


most importantly, i had the fortune of seeing my favorite stones-y stoners, natural child, who completely won me over at last year's SXSW after my friend gleni and i sort of accidentally wandered into their set. they're completely hilarious (see interview below), "fascinating-looking" (to quote my friend who attended the show with me last night) and most importantly...really, really, REALLY good live (again, see below). somehow, all of their songs sound like that old classic that you love but can't put your finger on, yet are totally original and awesome at the same time. the dudes behind us pretty much summed up my feelings about them after their set: "i just wanna party with those guys." amen, brother.




and THEN! hunx and his punx played.

i'd be lying if i said i didn't buy my ticket for natty child, but i was familiar with some of hunx's bubblegum/garage-y pop tunes, and intrigued by the promise of ridiculousness after seeing some of his videos. my oh my, i did not realized that the man and his band had such a rowdy cult following. everything started out innocently enough, with people bopping along and acting normal. but suddenly, my friend and i were smooshed to the side as a full-on mosh pit broke out, people started crowd-surfing, cigarette smoke and fog filled the air, and general insanity ensued. after some chick stepped on my friend's bare toes for the 3rd time, we had to get out of there. but, as with most things, it was good while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment